Introducing Ultralytics YOLOv8, the latest version of the acclaimed real-time object detection and image segmentation model. YOLOv8 is built on cutting-edge advancements in deep learning and computer vision, offering unparalleled performance in terms of speed and accuracy. Its streamlined design makes it suitable for various applications and easily adaptable to different hardware platforms, from edge devices to cloud APIs.
Explore the YOLOv8 Docs, a comprehensive resource designed to help you understand and utilize its features and capabilities. Whether you are a seasoned machine learning practitioner or new to the field, this hub aims to maximize YOLOv8's potential in your projects
Where to Start
ultralyticswith pip and get up and running in minutes Get Started
- Predict new images and videos with YOLOv8 Predict on Images
- Train a new YOLOv8 model on your own custom dataset Train a Model
- Explore YOLOv8 tasks like segment, classify, pose and track Explore Tasks
Watch: How to Train a YOLOv8 model on Your Custom Dataset in Google Colab.
YOLO: A Brief History
YOLO (You Only Look Once), a popular object detection and image segmentation model, was developed by Joseph Redmon and Ali Farhadi at the University of Washington. Launched in 2015, YOLO quickly gained popularity for its high speed and accuracy.
- YOLOv2, released in 2016, improved the original model by incorporating batch normalization, anchor boxes, and dimension clusters.
- YOLOv3, launched in 2018, further enhanced the model's performance using a more efficient backbone network, multiple anchors and spatial pyramid pooling.
- YOLOv4 was released in 2020, introducing innovations like Mosaic data augmentation, a new anchor-free detection head, and a new loss function.
- YOLOv5 further improved the model's performance and added new features such as hyperparameter optimization, integrated experiment tracking and automatic export to popular export formats.
- YOLOv6 was open-sourced by Meituan in 2022 and is in use in many of the company's autonomous delivery robots.
- YOLOv7 added additional tasks such as pose estimation on the COCO keypoints dataset.
- YOLOv8 is the latest version of YOLO by Ultralytics. As a cutting-edge, state-of-the-art (SOTA) model, YOLOv8 builds on the success of previous versions, introducing new features and improvements for enhanced performance, flexibility, and efficiency. YOLOv8 supports a full range of vision AI tasks, including detection, segmentation, pose estimation, tracking, and classification. This versatility allows users to leverage YOLOv8's capabilities across diverse applications and domains.
YOLO Licenses: How is Ultralytics YOLO licensed?
Ultralytics offers two licensing options to accommodate diverse use cases:
- AGPL-3.0 License: This OSI-approved open-source license is ideal for students and enthusiasts, promoting open collaboration and knowledge sharing. See the LICENSE file for more details.
- Enterprise License: Designed for commercial use, this license permits seamless integration of Ultralytics software and AI models into commercial goods and services, bypassing the open-source requirements of AGPL-3.0. If your scenario involves embedding our solutions into a commercial offering, reach out through Ultralytics Licensing.
Our licensing strategy is designed to ensure that any improvements to our open-source projects are returned to the community. We hold the principles of open source close to our hearts ❤️, and our mission is to guarantee that our contributions can be utilized and expanded upon in ways that are beneficial to all.